Current Activities

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy XIII

Currently Reading:
Naomi Klein- The Shock Doctrine

Currently Watching:
House MD
"V"
Fringe
Caprica (On Hiatus :@)
Scrubs

Twitter Updates

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

On left 4 dead and terrible people

I feel I have experienced a good portion of the communities the internet has to offer. It all started when my family got its first computer back in the 9th grade. My friend Kyle showed me how to set up my own hotmail account (although I have actually had that account longer then I have had access to the intrawebs!). I was initially drawn into the world of MSN roleplaying after happening upon a chat room entitled The Midnight Manor. That was my first taste of an internet community, a small group of roleplayers I came to know and love. But after a while I decided to try my luck at an MMORPG, the dreaded Tibia.
Tibia was another small community, easily handled and easily enjoyed.
And this is where the tier system begins
The next tier for me was that of the XBox live community. While roleplaying communitys, and other small online community were easily tolerable with your occasional prick, the Xbox live experince is a little different. Name calling, general harassment, your occasional tough guy 10 year old, that kind of stuff. But still, pretty easily managed.
Following the Xbox Live tier comes the world of warcraft tier, easily the next level of prick. Plenty of harassment and all around douchebaggery exists in the World of Warcraft community, including people who religiously strongly dislike the opposite factions.
But by far the worst, and most amusing community I have happened upon is that of /b/ on 4chan. The only rule is there are no rules... and it is incredibly amusing, making me feel like more and more of a terrible person every time I log on. /b/ is defiantly the bully of the internet.

So I got to play Left 4 Dead, and it was pretty awesome. The internet hype was by all means justified, but unfortunately it doesn't have an incredible level of replay value. While it's great game play and everything, the campaigns are all so brief I look at them as running instance encounters on World of Warcraft. Sure there is some story there, but it's all strategy that you will get down with your fellow players. And while generally in something with a campaign I am okay with sticking to strategy because the story is backing it... L4D is just different. The levels are laid out with "boss" encounters in specific areas, so I imagine after a couple of times playing it there can't be too much excitement to the matter. The only way to switch it up is with newer players to the game who won't be used to the encounters, or in the versus mode. Both of which will probably get boring after a while.

I suppose replacing my car is a serious contender in things to do with my tax money, as driving in this weather is nigh impossible with my inability to see. It's fine if it isn't freezing out, but this +2 shenanigans is just no good. But then again, I really don't think I can resist the temptation to get myself some sort of Blackberry, or some other smart phone. While initially I planned on getting the BB storm, terrible reviews have made me reconsider... The Samsung Omnia looks pretty awesome, and I hear a 5.0 megapixel camera is nicer dicer.

Oh well

Vegeta ftw


Breathe out so I can breathe you in hold you in
And now I know you've always been out of your head, out of my head I sang
And I wonder when I sing along with you
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again
The only thing I'll ever ask of you
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when she sang

1 comment:

Cusecolts said...

I feel the same that you do about F4D. and I think that you should keep that phone that you do have now and put you money to that car thing. Because Travis if you can't see then there just maybe not more Travyson and that is not fun at all.